I don’t know about y’all, but this Christmas break gave me life. I watched a ton of holiday movies, spent quality time with my little family, and read Scrappy Little Nobody by Anna Kendrick. We even spent the week between Christmas and New Year’s adulting hard – we bought a new car, got prequalified for a mortgage, and met with a realtor to officially start the house hunt. I’d say it was the perfect mix of relaxation and productivity.
And then this first week back, I officially started in my new position as Content Manager 🙌🏻 I found out about my promotion right before the break, but had to keep my lips sealed until it was announced. Hearing that news at the end of the year made those red eye flights, 4 AM wake-up calls on event days, and around-the-clock social media monitoring so worth it! ✈️
So this first week back was a whirlwind filled with a lot of meetings, but I’m feeling reenergized and am excited to see what 2017 holds. (I’m also totally ready for the weekend and am not even mad we’re supposed to get 6″ of snow, which, in the south, means we’ll be snowed in.)
Here are some of the best articles I stumbled upon this week:
- Your Road Map to Making the Most of Your Career: I shared my career New Year’s resolutions earlier in the week, but this article has some great tips to help you always be working towards the next promotion. Like most things in life, you get out of your career what you put into it. I love her tip for making your commute more productive. Is it weird that I’m half looking forward to having a commute again when we buy a house because I miss listening to podcasts?
- 21 hilariously mangled metaphors from PR Daily: These made me laugh out loud at my desk yesterday. While I’m a good writer, it’s because I have more time to organize my thoughts. When speaking, I’m not as eloquent. In fact, I have been known to mix up metaphors, which is probably why I found this so funny. The best one? Never lick a gift horse in the mouth. 😂
- Two Young Women Get Ready To Take On Skeptics And Sexism In New Secret Ad: OBSESSED with these two new ads from Secret! It takes their campaign from last year to the next level and presents situations I think every working woman can relate to.
- 12 Things Healthy Girls Do Before 7 A.M. from The Everygirl: This article spoke to me because I need to create a better morning routine. I wake up at 6:30 AM and don’t need to be at work until 8:30 AM, yet somehow every morning I’m rushing off to work at the last minute. It’s not even like I have an elaborate beauty routine. I think I just get sucked into the morning news. New goals: prep lunch/dinner, journal, and eat a healthy breakfast.
- 4 New Year’s Resolutions for a Healthier Marriage: The number one resolution in here MPR & I could both work on is putting down our phones. Oftentimes we’ll mindlessly scroll on our social feeds next to each other instead of talking or actually watching our shows together. It’s a bad habit that I’d really like to kick.
Stay warm this weekend!