In 2016 I traveled a lot for business. Like, more than I traveled in my previous 27 years combined. So I’m starting 2017 with a serious case of wanderlust, but for personal travel. It’s kind of hard when we’re also saving up for a house down payment, but that’s a #firstworldproblem if I’ve ever heard one. I’m craving both a beach trip and an adventure. I’m also excited to attend three of our friends’ weddings this year. Here’s hoping I can have my cake and eat it, too. 🍰
Here are six great articles I found this week:
- An Open Letter to Working Women: We need to do more than “Lean In.” We need to lead. This article is a great read, but I especially love point number 3: Avoid behaving like you are the Mom in the room. This is an “old habits die hard” issue for me. Since I started in an administrative position, I kind of forget that it’s “not my job” to help clean up after office parties anymore. But even just saying that makes me feel like an asshole. I don’t think there’s anything wrong with clearing your own plate or helping other people out. It’s a fine line to walk.
- Five Ways To Improve Your Reputation in 2017: I’m a big fan of staying active on LinkedIn to boost your reputation. Sharing or publishing articles, liking other people’s updates, and congratulating people on their new positions are easy ways to stay top of mind in your professional circles.
- Across the USA by Train for Just $213: Okay, wanderlust #1: taking a cross-country trip by train. The photos this guy shared are amazing and I had no idea you were able to see that much from the train tracks. Of course a road trip gives you more flexibility, but I think this would be a really cool experience.
- 7 Places to Network (That You Haven’t Thought of Yet): Twitter is my all-time favorite social network, so it’s no surprise to me that it’s number one on this list!
- The best show you see this year will not be in the West End: Wanderlust #2: going to Iceland to see the Northern Lights. I’m not a big nature girl, but this is a once in a lifetime type of experience and I’m sure it’s absolutely breathtaking. And apparently 2017 will be a really good year to see them.
- Covering the Bases – Swimsuits in Maui: This is my absolute favorite fashion blogger. She’s authentic and a curvy size 6, just like me, so the clothes she features have a chance of actually working for me, too. It’s so refreshing and this week she had a great post all about swimsuits and body positivity and I just want to hug her. We need more of this on the internet.
What’s on your travel bucket list?