Most of my childhood I was lanky. My mother bought me endless pairs of overalls because they were the only pants that would stay up. I finally filled out in high school and was able to maintain a size 4 simply by eating whatever I wanted (+organized sports). This pretty much continued through college until I hit about 26. This age is what I like to call the death of my metabolism (RIP 💀). Since then I’ve been slowly putting on pounds and I realized I needed to make a change at the end of 2016.
So I’ve embarked on a lifestyle change that includes cutting out bread, pasta, and red meat, eating more vegetables whenever I can, and slowly cutting out processed foods. It’s a slow change (abiding by these rules 80% of the time), but I’ve already started to feel better. I’ve also found healthy recipes that I actually love more than the originals (and are MPR-approved 👍🏻). Here’s the best of what we’ve found so far:
- Tone it Up Banana Peanut Butter Overnight Oats: How have I just discovered overnight oats?! These quickly became my new favorite breakfast. (Plus by making them the night before, you have no excuse to skip the most important meal of the day!)
- The Best Healthier Brownies: Bookmark this recipe for when you have a chocolate craving. These are brownies with no flour, no refined white sugar, no butter, and no eggs. And they’re amazing. (And no, they don’t have anything weird like black beans or sweet potato. That’s not worth it to me.)
- Two-Ingredient Pancakes: I never thought I would be the type of person who made gluten-free, dairy-free, paleo pancakes, but these are honestly better than the original. They taste just like banana pancakes, but with extra protein to keep you full and satisfied.
- Sweet Potato, Black Bean, and Lentil Vegetarian Chili: I have a new love of lentils. This chili is so yummy and filling – and it has no meat!
- Cauliflower Buffalo Bites: I’ll be honest, we cheated on this one a little bit and used panko bread crumbs instead of rice flower, but it’s still healthier than the processed mystery nuggets in the frozen food aisle. This was a great copycat recipe that really satisfied our wing craving.
And the journey continues! Please share any recipe gems you’ve found – I’m always looking for more to try.