This week I had my first taste of, what I assume will one day be, “working mom guilt.” I had a particularly great week in the office: pitched a winning idea to a client, caught wind of some exciting new projects, and got the creative juices flowing in some inspiring brainstorming sessions. At home, however, I wasn’t as successful.
Our puppy Rufio recently turned one, and almost like clockwork, he decided he’s over his crate. At the end of my lunch break I got frustrated trying to pull him from out under the couch to put him in his crate, and said, fine, you can roam free this afternoon.
Later, when I got out of my 4:30 meeting, I had a flurry of text messages from MPR. Apparently, when I left our apartment that afternoon, I forgot to close the bathroom door and Rufio proceeded to eat one of our roach traps. Whoops.
I not only felt guilty that I put my puppy in harm’s way, but I felt terrible that MPR had to come home from work and walk into a) a messy apartment with a roach trap torn to shreds, and b) the panic of dealing with the fact that our puppy just ate poison.
After calls to the vet and poison control, Rufio ended up being fine. But it was a strange week. To do so well in one half of my life, and fail so badly in the other. I’m not a real mom yet, but I assume that’s much of what parenthood will be as a working mom. I’m mentally exhausted just thinking about it.
Here’s what caught my eye this week:
- Girlboss Radio with Sophia Amoruso: Apparently Sophia Amoruso has a #Girlboss podcast I never knew about! Subscribing immediately.
- How to Find Your Side Hustle Sweet Spot by Nicole Lapin. In case you’re looking for a way to bring in some extra cash.
- 19 Easy Pre-Made Meals You Can Bring to Work: Up your brown bag lunch.
- 30 Ways to Make Yourself Look Older in 30 Seconds: For all of my fellow baby faces!
- How My Boyfriend Makes Me More Successful: Yes, yes, and yes! Marry someone who supports your career goals!
I’m so ready for a glass of wine to take me into the weekend 🍷
Hang in there, girl! Being a fur mom is not easy sometimes and feeling guilt is usually just life’s strong reminder that you’re a good person. Keep kicking ass in the PR world!
Thanks! We can’t win at everything all the time, right? At least it’s good practice for when I’m a real mom!